Re: Kernel built with CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 15:47 +0200, Lars Segerlund wrote:
>>
>>  Yes I should have said CONFIG_PREEMPT + SMP +
>> CONFIG_IRQ_FORCED_THREADING
>>
>>  Basicly since BKL is gone in 2.6.39 and there is forced threading , a
>> kernel built with preemption is good enough for a lot of stuff, one of
>> which is the audio guys.
> [...]
>
> Hmm, that's an interesting possibility.  What would we call it,
> 'rt-lite'? ;-)

Well, I guess the only option missing in debian -generic flavour is the
CONFIG_PREEMPT, right?  At least my 2.6.39-2 is already using CONFIG_SMP
and CONFIG_IRQ_FORCED_THREADING by default.

Not sure about the rational behind picking CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY
instead of CONFIG_PREEMPT, but I would say that it could make sense to
at least evaluate the possibility to change this.

Cheers,
--
Luis Henriques