Re: Kernel built with CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 13:14 +0100, Luis Henriques wrote:
> Hi,
> Lars Segerlund <lars.segerlund@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >  Hi,
> >
> >  Since it's possible to configure the kernel with the CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT since
> > 2.6.39 ... ( mainline ) , it would be supernice if there were prebuilt kernels
> > in debian ( sid ).
> >
> >  I just wanted to point this out and here what everyone thought about it.
> >
> >  It would be a great boon for audio users, and for some RT tasks.
> >
> >  / regards, Lars Segerlund.
> >

> Are you sure this is available on mainline?  I couldn't find any
> references to it.  AFAIK, its available only through the -rt patch.

This is correct.

> Also, the latest "official" version of this patch is 2.6.33.9-rt31, so
> there is no support for latter kernels.

Right.  We have had offers to maintain an 'rt' featureset for wheezy,
but that can only happen if the Linux-rt developers decide to create
their next branch from the same upstream kernel version we use for
wheezy.

Ideally this would all get merged upstream and 'rt' could be just
another flavour, but this is happening quite slowly.

It is easier to write an incorrect program than to understand a correct one.