Re: r8169 update for Debian 6.0 'squeeze'

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 07:12:39PM +0100, Luis Henriques wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 03:35:09AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > The Debian kernel team regularly backports driver updates to the Linux
> > kernel in stable releases to add support for new hardware.  In the
> > current stable release, the Linux kernel is based on longterm series
> > 2.6.32.y.
> >
> > We generally prefer to cherry-pick bug fixes and new hardware support,
> > but there are so many interrelated changes to r8169 since 2.6.32 that
> > this seems to be impossible.  So I've prepared a backport of r8169 from
> > Linux 2.6.38, which is available in the git branch:
> >
> >     git://git.debian.org/kernel/linux-2.6.git r8169-test
>
> I was trying to clone, but it looks like the server is down:
>
> 	$ git clone git://git.debian.org/kernel/linux-2.6.git
> 	Cloning into linux-2.6...
> 	git.debian.org[0: 217.196.43.134]: errno=Connection refused
> 	fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)

Right, the server is part of Alioth, which is going through a major
upgrade today during the Alioth development meeting.

> Anyway, I am currently running wheezy, but since my laptop is using this
> driver, I believe it shouldn't hurt to give it a try.  Any suggestions on
> what sort of tests I could run?  Or just reporting "it's working for me"
> is enough?

Some things you could check:
- If the driver tries to load firmware (only required for some chips),
  does this work?
- Can you receive and transmit VLAN-tagged frames after creating a
  VLAN interface?
- Does the interface work after suspend and resume?
- Does the interface work after removing the cable for 10 seconds and
  reinserting it?
- Does multicast configuration work?  (IPv6 autoconfiguration or mDNS
  will cover this.)
- Can the interface send and receive TCP/IP across a LAN at the same
  speed, before and after these changes?  (Use e.g. netperf to test
  this, but don't forget to remvoe the netperf package after use.)
- Are any warnings or errors logged by the kernel during these tests?

Also please state which chip you are using (PCI ID from lspci -n,
and XID as logged by the driver at startup).

                                                              - Albert Camus