Re: Dropping 686 non-pae kernel

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 09:18:31AM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 03:57:56AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 11:34 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 11:23 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > [...]
>
> > I'm wavering on this.  I don't like the idea of simply renaming
> > '686-bigmem' to '686', given there are a fair number of 686-class
> > systems without PAE, and I don't think users with a Pentium M are going
> > to expect that '486' is the right choice.
>
> Please read again what I wrote.

Please provide 'where' and 'when'.

> > The distinctions between these two flavours will be:
> > 1. One processor (min 486) with 386 page tables (currently '486')
> > 2. One or more processors with PAE page tables (currently '686-bigmem')
>
> Will not hold forever and you need to integrate the other architectures
> into it.
>
> > How about naming them 'up' and 'smp-pae'?  It'll be a pain to transition
> > the metapackages, but then we should never have to go through this again
> > when raising the minimum processor requirement.
>
> No, this will not help. See above.
>
> Bastian
>
> --
> There are certain things men must do to remain men.
> 		-- Kirk, "The Ultimate Computer", stardate 4929.4

A good thing to remain human,
is willing to communicate with humans.

Take time to explain why something is a good thing.
Take even more time to explain why something is a bad thing.

If the other side doesn't get the message,
both sides should allow each other the freedom to do their thing.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.