Re: Dropping 686 non-pae kernel

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 11:34 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 11:23 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
[...]
> > There are several possibilities to do this:
> > * Change name of meta-package:
> >   - Breaks nothing
> >   - Needs manual intervention by anyone using it
> > * Don't change the name:
> >   - Breaks some systems
> >   - No manual intervention by the rest
>
> Rename 686-bigmem to 686.  Keep the 686-bigmem metapackage as a dummy
> package depending on the 686 metapackage (for one release).  When the
> 686 metapackage is upgraded on a system that doesn't support PAE,
> display a warning with debconf.

I'm wavering on this.  I don't like the idea of simply renaming
'686-bigmem' to '686', given there are a fair number of 686-class
systems without PAE, and I don't think users with a Pentium M are going
to expect that '486' is the right choice.

The distinctions between these two flavours will be:
1. One processor (min 486) with 386 page tables (currently '486')
2. One or more processors with PAE page tables (currently '686-bigmem')

How about naming them 'up' and 'smp-pae'?  It'll be a pain to transition
the metapackages, but then we should never have to go through this again
when raising the minimum processor requirement.