Re: [Secure-testing-team] For discussion: security support strategy for the wheezy kernel

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 05:15:07PM -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > What does that buy us? ??It means instead of dealing with bugs on an
> > ongoing basis, you get them all at the same time and get to bisect along
> > many kernel versions at once instead of just one. ??It means problems
> > don't get reported (and fixed) upstream until it's too late. ??It means
> > any package that could use a newer kernel interface doesn't get any
> > testing. ??I'm sure there's plenty of others.

> Bugs can be submitted and dealt with in experimental just as well as
> in unstable.

Realistically people don't generally go randomly installing things from
experimental so the testing coverage we get from having unstable and
testing is substantially reduced - we get to deal with everything in the
freeze instead, plus all the effects of running an old kernel which
isn't being actively developed.