Re: [DRAFT v2] Policy for Linux kernel, initramfs, boot loader update process

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 09:51 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
[...]
> On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 18:48:20 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > 4. During a kernel package installation, upgrade or removal, various
> > boot loader hooks may be invoked (in this order):
> >
> > a. A postinst_hook or postrm_hook command set by the user or the
> >    installer in /etc/kernel-img.conf
>
> kfreebsd-image-* packages honour those hooks. I'll add support for
> those to gnumach.

That is not necessary; these are already deprecated.

> > b. A hook script in /etc/initramfs/post-update.d
>
> Neither kfreebsd nor gnumach honour this, not needed yet though.

Nor implemented at all!

> > c. A hook script in /etc/kernel/postinst.d or .../postrm.d
>
> Neither do honour these, they need support added. I can probably make
> some time to do that for both.

Please do.

> > To avoid unnecessary updates, the hooks invoked at step a and b may
> > check whether $DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE begins with 'linux-image-' and
> > do nothing in this case.
>
> Take into account that DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE is only set if running
> under dpkg, dpkg-reconfigure (from debconf) does not set this nor other
> variables yet. See #560317.

Well, this *is* an optimisation, not required for correctness.

> It would be nice to consider the other kernel package names. But even
> nicer to just have a centralized place where all currently known package
> patterns are listed or can be queried so that there's no need to update
> multiple scripts on new kernel additions, or name convention changes.

I think any package that deals with kernel images must have explicit
support for the kernel type, and it can tell the expected kernel type
based on the Debian architecture name.  So I think this abstraction is
unnecessary.

I have not added any requirements for non-Linux kernels in the policy,
but if you and the other maintainers can fully define how to extend it
to your kernels then I'm happy to include those extensions.