Re: Proposed changes to initramfs-tools hook scripts

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:

> Max,
>
> As promised, here are my proposed changes to the initramfs-tools hook scripts.
>
> /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
> http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools
>
> /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools:
> http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools
>
> I release the changes under the same license as currently used.
> I did not include the scripts or patches in-line in my e-mail because my
> e-mail client has the nasty habit of expanding tabs, inserting extra line
> breaks, etc.  So I up-loaded the files to my web site and included links
> to them in this e-mail.
>
> Changes:
>
> (1) Does not create an initial RAM file system image for a custom kernel
> created by make-kpkg if one was not requested by the --initrd flag of
> make-kpkg.
>
> (2) Redirects STDOUT to STDERR when invoking update-initramfs.
>     (Avoids output being swallowed by debconf's redirection of STDOUT.)
>
> (3) Postinst.d version always exits with status code zero, even if an
>     error occurs attempting to delete the initramfs.

thank you very much. applied your 3 changes to branch maks/hooks on
http://git.debian.org/?p=kernel/initramfs-tools.git;a=summary
please review before I'd merge into master for next upload.

I'm not sure if the indirection to STDERR is needed for make deb-pkg,
but it shouldn't hurt there?

you may want to have a look at for initramfs-tools dev
http://git.debian.org/?p=kernel/initramfs-tools.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/maintainer-notes.html;h=eeceafdfc498bd6585328d1eeb52e6e454d524ee;hb=HEAD
changes in git send-email or online git repo are easier to handle.

> Although not strictly within your jurisdiction, I will also send you
> another e-mail soon with links to my proposed boot loader hook script
> for lilo and zipl.  I'd like you to take a look at it to make sure
> that everything is going to flow together smoothly.  I'm talking
> about the kernel hook script at this point, not the initramfs hook
> script.

okay cool.

--
maks