Re: Debian libata transition (bug in initramfs-tools?)

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 12:28 -0800, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
> Hi Ben
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply.
>
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:06, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 11:42:30AM -0800, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
> >> (I'm sending this email to debian-kernel because the Debian kernel
> >> team is listed as the maintainer for initramfs-tools.)
> >
> > You should really use the 'reportbug' command to send bug reports.
>
> I wasn't sure that it was a bug, so I thought I'd start a discussion
> before filing a bug report. I'm happy to submit a proper bug report if
> required. Also, it is tricky to use reportbug on a system that doesn't
> boot :-)

Can you not reboot into the previous kernel version?

> > Right.  I assume you have configured initramfs-tools with MODULES=dep,
> > and it worked out the required modules for the *running* kernel not
> > the newly installed kernel.  That would be a bug.
>
> You are correct: MODULES=dep. I have never changed, so I guess it was
> set like that when I installed lenny.

There is an option for this at installation time, but it is not the
default.  I think it might be automatically selected for systems with
little RAM, though.

> So, is this a fixable bug?
>
> /mnt/disk/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d # cat driver-policy
> # Driver inclusion policy selected during installation
> # Note: this setting overrides the value set in the file
> # /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
> MODULES=dep
>
> >> Does the behavior I observed match what you would expect to happen with
> >> initramfs-tools for the upgrade, and is it something that can be
> >> fixed? Also, would this problem apply to all systems that only have
> >> PATA hard drives?
> >
> > Thankfully, no.  The default configuration of initramfs-tools has
> > MODULES=most which means that all the available PATA and SATA drivers
> > will be included in the initramfs.
>
> Would the solution then be to require people to (temporarily) set
> MODULES=most before upgrading?

That should work around the bug unless the system is short of RAM (less
than about 64 MB).  If this can't easily be fixed in initramfs-tools
then we could mention that in the release notes.