Re: Debian libata transition (bug in initramfs-tools?)

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 11:42:30AM -0800, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
> (I'm sending this email to debian-kernel because the Debian kernel
> team is listed as the maintainer for initramfs-tools.)

You should really use the 'reportbug' command to send bug reports.

[...]
> After doing upgrading the kernel and udev (and some other packages)
> from lenny to squeeze, /conf/modules in the (squeeze) initramfs
> contained:
>
> (initramfs) cat conf/modules
> pci:v00001191d00000009sv00001191sd00000009bc01sc80i00
> ide_disk
> aec62xx
> pci:v00001191d00000009sv00001191sd00000009bc01sc80i00
> unix
>
> I imagine that initramfs-tools created this file when I upgraded the
> kernel and udev, but I'm not sure why the aec62xx driver (the old IDE
> driver) was listed in the file, although I suspect that
> initramfs-tools found this module by walking through /sys because that
> driver was loaded when the initramfs was created. However, even though
> the aec62xx driver is listed in /conf/modules, it is not included in
> the initramsfs, because is is not built with the squeeze kernel.

Right.  I assume you have configured initramfs-tools with MODULES=dep,
and it worked out the required modules for the *running* kernel not
the newly installed kernel.  That would be a bug.

[...]
> Does the behavior I observed match what you would expect to happen with
> initramfs-tools for the upgrade, and is it something that can be
> fixed? Also, would this problem apply to all systems that only have
> PATA hard drives?

Thankfully, no.  The default configuration of initramfs-tools has
MODULES=most which means that all the available PATA and SATA drivers
will be included in the initramfs.

                                                              - Albert Camus