Re: Xen dom0 (core) merged to upstream Linux 2.6.37 and other new features

Er.. Just wish it is coming soon.

NVIDIA and ATi proprietary drivers do not support xen kernel. If a trunk or generic kernel is built in xen pv_ops support, when users switch from normal mode to booting xen kernel, X server will not boot. Though we know a user who sets up a xen server is not a Linux newbies, the result makes user uncomfortable. It looks an uneasy problem.

Linus has released kernel-2.6.37-rc1. I read the changelog. Some Xen pvops patch has merged into upstream kernel. Waiting Debian to push 2.6.37-rc1 to experimental and test it for Xen.

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 23:36 +0800, Liang Suilong wrote:
> Upstream Linux support Xen pv_ops dom0 is a good news.
>

> I have some question about that. When pv_ops gets into upstream
> kernel, we can enable pv_ops dom0 support in kernel configure file
> before compiling. Does Debian drop  kernel for Xen in the future?

The kernel team does not intend to retain the Xen featureset after
squeeze (this was announced after our meeting last year).  We do expect
that full Xen functionality (dom0 and domU) will be merged upstream in
time for wheezy and we have included some of the post-2.6.32
enhancements for domU in the default kernel images for squeeze.

> In generic kernel, we can build in pv_ops support. If users want to
> use Xen, just install xen core and configure GRUB, then they can run
> Xen Dom0.

That's the plan.

Fedora && Debian User, former Ubuntu User
My Page: http://www.liangsuilong.info
Fedora Project Contributor -- Packager && Ambassador
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Liangsuilong