Re: alsa-firmware in firmware-linux-non-free package

On 2010-10-19 12:31, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 10:10 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
However I think these firmware images should be added to the
linux-firmware.git repository first, as that is the 'upstream' used as a
base for most distributions that provide firmware packages.

Definitely. And so I offer the same assistance to David Woodhouse as I
do to you in Debian - willingness to answer questions etc, to make this
happen. You are welcome to help me remind him to actually pick these
things up.

Where do I pick them up from? The git tree referenced above seems to add
to a 'WHENCE.ubuntu' file instead of the main WHENCE file.

Oh. The idea was to keep the firmwares you haven't picked up in WHENCE.ubuntu, in order to make merging easier for us during that transition period. Just making a commit that puts all information that is now in WHENCE.ubuntu into WHENCE is not hard, so let me know if you need help with that.

I'm also thinking of moving to something based on
http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat and adding extra
metadata about the earliest/latest kernels for which any given firmware
file is relevant, as well as a simple 'build' system.

Okay. I don't have much opinion on that matter, but if you decide to do so, I'm certain that we will follow your conventions for future additions and contributions to linux-firmware.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic