Re: Kernel 2.6.35

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 20:26, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> The kernel team (in conjunction with the security team) decided that one
> kernel per release is less trouble.

Is there information available anywhere about this? (Maybe some
thoughts on things of this nature could be added to the debian kernel
handbook as a FAQ).

> There was an experiment with adding
> a later kernel version to the etch release, but I don't think the
> results were that positive.

Sorry to be a bother, I'm still confused. This thread has been helpful
though. Thanks...

Could you make the 2.6.35 package available in only sid? If as soon as
you put it in sid, it automagically tries to build it for testing and
stable -- then I could see how that would be a problem. In that case,
the proper thing to do might be to figure out how to solve that
problem.

> For lenny and squeeze we have instead backported new hardware support.

A noticeable percentage of hardware sold today at any retail outlet
doesn't work.

> Sorry, this is not going to happen.

If this is not by your will, I wish you luck overcoming the blocking
obstacles since your 2.6.35 packages work so well.

Could you provide some guidance as to what to expect? For instance,
are there not likely to be newer versions of the kernel in sid until
after squeeze gets released?