Re: Kernel 2.6.35

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 19:06 -0700, Jeff Carr wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 05:48, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Once squeeze is released we'll upload the latest kernel to unstable,
> > whether that's 2.6.35 or .36.
>
> It would be helpful to me if there was a way to make newer kernels
> available in sid.

Why is that necessary when they are available in experimental?

Bear in mind that we do not want to have multiple kernel versions in one
release, as that increases the support burden.

> Is there anything we could do to help? I seem to
> remember some talk of building load on the various other
> architectures. Is this part of the reason? If so, maybe a solution to
> that could be worked out. It's unfortunate because lots of new
> hardware I've tried doesn't work with the current sid kernel.

Please file a bug on the kernel version in 'sid' for each unsupported
device, with severity 'important'.  Changes to add support for new
hardware are generally acceptable throughout the release cycle,
particularly for network and disk controllers which may be needed for
installation and booting.