Re: CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is not set for linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 00:47 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 01:04 +0200, Bart Verwilst wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am not on the list, so please forgive me and put me in CC :)
> > I'm trying to boot an Ubuntu Lucid from linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> > through the Xen 4.0.1-rc3 hypervisor ( also Debian packages ), which
> > boots fine, but then fails to show me the console:
> [...]
> > While looking for a reason ( console and stuffs
> > should all be fine ), i came across this:
> >
> > root@database42:/boot# grep DEPRE config-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> > # CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is not set
> > CONFIG_ENABLE_WARN_DEPRECATED=y
> >

> > I knew the latest udev needs this to be deprecated, and the Xen docs
> > told me the same:
> >
> > "Make sure you have these two set (otherwise your init hangs and udev
> > stops working)
> >
> > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
> > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y"
> >

> > What am i missing here? Why does it work for the Debian systems ( i guess :) )
>
> You are confused.  CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED(_V2)=y means that the
> deprecated entries still appear in sysfs, so the current configuration
> is correct.
>
> I think the deprecated entries used to be required by the administration
> tools that run in dom0, but AFAIK this is no longer be true.

I thought the option was there to allow older udev (and/or initrd)
running on newer kernels? IIRC the initrd hang referred to above was a
bug in RH's nash (used in the initrd) which was triggered by a dir in
sysfs becoming a symlink (or vice-versa).

I wasn't aware of any Xen specific requirement for those options, the
suggestion on
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/2.6.18-to-2.6.31-and-higher does seem
overly broad since it only applied to userspace of a particular vintage
from one distro family. Konrad, what do you think?

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

94% of the women in America are beautiful and the rest hang out around here.