Re: 5.0.4-i386 freezes at boot

Quoting Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:

I'm wondering whether the keyboard is still broken here.  Did you type
the username in or did you select it with the mouse?  Or were you forced
to select the wrong keymap for your keyboard because of the restrictions
in the installer?

I typed in the usernames, both 'root' and my own. They appeared correctly on-screen, so I would assume the passwords that I typed in were correct, too. But the installed system just did not accept them.

I will note that I have, successively, installed OpenSUSE 11.2, Ubuntu
9.10 and Fedora 12 on this machine. They did have problems, yes, but I
could still log in. Also, the Debian install seems to have made the
Fedora 12 installation unbootable. A pity, as it was working pretty
well this morning.

Sorry about that; maybe the installer developers (debian-boot list) can
help you to debug and fix this.

It's OK; I found instructions at
    http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=975
on what to do to make the Fedora 12 installation bootable again. It's odd how the Debian installer (correctly) claims to have identified the F12 (on a different partition), but then does not list it in the boot menu.

Sakari Aaltonen