Re: initramfs-tools: mkinitramfs could call modprobe with --use-blacklist?

hello,

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Jayen Ashar wrote:

> I have a problem where modprobe hangs when trying to load the amd64_agp
> module.  mkinitramfs calls modprobe when adding things to initramfs.
> While I acknowledge that is not a bug in mkinitramfs, I think I should
> be able to use the blacklist (or some equivalent mechanism) to prevent
> this from happening.

why to you think that mkinitramfs loads any module?

it merely calls modprobe to list the dependings of specific modules
to have them also included in initramfs.

> Until the amd64_agp bug is fixed (http://bugs.debian.org/570321), I have
> to kill modprobe every time I upgrade my kernel, so I had requested this
> wishlist item from initramfs-tools.  http://bugs.debian.org/575454  Max
> told me to ask on the mailing list (I'm assuming this one) before
> opening this as a wishlist item.
>
> Is this a reasonable feature request?  For mkinitramfs to avoid hanging
> by honouring the blacklist when adding modules to initramfs?

first of all the trouble concerning amd64_agp should be gone as it is
no longer modular.

what i still don't get is why it should hang there, could you provide an
strace of the modprobe call, thanks.