Re: [RFR] templates://linux-2.6/{linux-base.templates,templates/temp.image.pla in/templates}

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 11:45 +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
>> In my case the name of my IOmega Zip drive changed too.  Yes, I
>> only had it installed on that machine to see if it would cause
>> trouble, and it still worked as /dev/sdc1.  Mind you, I imagine it
>> would be a bit of a pain assigning labels to a pile of 100MB
>> removable zip-disks if dosfslabel's still buggy (#506786).
> [...]
>
> Also reported and fixed as #559985.  You're welcome.

If it's fixed in 3.0.7-1, shouldn't dosfslabel agree with mlabel,
blkid, mount, etc on what label a vfat file system has?  Because
that's not what I'm seeing:

 jbr@xan:~$ /sbin/blkid /dev/sdb4
 /dev/sdb4: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="ZM3" UUID="15F9-2C71" TYPE="vfat"
 jbr@xan:~$ ls /dev/disk/by-label/
 FREEBSD  LENNY  SWAP  SQUEEZE  ZM3
 jbr@xan:~$ /sbin/dosfslabel --version
 dosfslabel 3.0.9, 31 Jan 2010, FAT32, LFN
 jbr@xan:~$ /sbin/dosfslabel /dev/sdb4
 Z100A
 jbr@xan:~$ sudo mount LABEL=Z100A /media/zip
 mount: special device LABEL=Z100A does not exist
 jbr@xan:~$ mlabel -s z:
  Volume label is ZM3
 jbr@xan:~$ sudo mount LABEL=ZM3 /media/zip
 jbr@xan:~$ mount -l | grep zip
 /dev/sdb4 on /media/zip type vfat (rw) [ZM3]

I can use mlabel or mkdosfs to set a label that can then immediately
be used by mount, but dosfslabel still seems to be modifying some
ID-string not connected to the file system label or UUID.

(I should probably be testing this on something less arcane.)