Re: [RFR] templates://linux-2.6/{linux-base.templates,templates/temp.image.plain/templates}

(thanks, Ben, for your comments. I was of course expecting them as it
is a little bit fun to see a Frenglish speaker reviewing texts for a
native speaker who is known as very clever with his own language..:-))

> > This is a quite important review as some of these strings are likely
> > to appear during the system install. Some other will also appear
> > during kernel upgrades and, I guess, particularly for lenny->squeeze
> > upgrades.
>
> Actually, they shouldn't appear during install.

I went on this because of a recent report in D-I from a user who was
surprised to not see the template mentioning potentially mimssing
firmware. *this* one is likely to appear for some users, isn't it?

Anywa, even if it doesn't, I think that having that round of review
and of course the translation update round that will follow is still a
good  improvement we can bring. After all, we're talking about a
somehow important package, right? ;-)

> > I feel like "ID" is more appropriate than lowercas "id" as acronyms
> > are generally using uppercase. However, the current practice and
> > existing documentation may lead to keep "id".
>
> 'id' is short for 'identifier' and there is no reason to capitalise an
> abbreviation of a single word.  I believe 'ID' in capitals originally
> stood for identity document, and while it is commonly used simply for
> 'identifier' it annoys my pedantic nature.

OK. Point taken. Reverting to "id".

> [...]
> >  Template: linux-base/disk-id-convert-plan-no-relabel
> >  Type: boolean
> >  Default: true
> > +#flag:translate!:3,5
>
> This short description should match that of the previous template.
> Ideally they would be the same template but AFAIK debconf has no
> provision to make parts of a template conditional.

No, particularly when one wants them to be translatable.

I actually missed the identical synopsis for both templates. Fixed.

> >  Template: linux-base/disk-id-manual
> > -Type: note
> > - These configuration files still use some device names that may
> > +Type: error
> > +#flag:translate!:3
> > + The following configuration files still use some device names that may
> >   change when using the new kernel:
> >   .
> >   ${unconverted}
> >
> > I think that the "error" type is more likely to properly bring the
> > user's attention.
>
> This is not necessarily an error.

Yep. That's debatable. My point, es explained, was getting attention,
which is better achieved with "Type: error" and, after all, in some
cases, that could turn into an error.

I leave you with the last word on this. Do you prefer me to revert to "note"?

> > - We recommend that you identify these devices by UUID or label, except that
> > - on MIPS systems this is not supported for the root device.
> > + You should identify these devices by UUID or label, with the
> > + noticeable exception of the root device for MIPS systems.
> > +
> >
> > Another note turned into "error" and a synopsis turned as a title for
> > it
> >
> > Drop double space
> >
> > Add punctuation
> >
> > Drop the use of first person. Rewrite the last sentence that looks
> > awkward to me (Germish? :-))
>
> No, I wrote that.  While it was slightly awkward, it was correct and
> your change after the comma would make it ambiguous.  MIPS users *must
> not* use UUID or label for the root device id.

Ahh, ooops. So, not Germish. I was indeed convinced that "except that"
is too close to a false friend (for example for French speaker, as a
word for word translation of "à part que"....which is bad French but
(too) often used). So, not awkward it was.....

I changed it another way. This time mostly because I think that a
separate sentence has better chances to  be catched by the target
audience (MIPS users):

 You should identify these devices by UUID or label. This is however
 not supported for the root device of MIPS systems.

New templates attached (Justin's proposal included....even the Oxford
comma, which I leave you guys to debate about).

Template: linux-base/disk-id-convert-auto
Type: boolean
Default: true
 The new Linux kernel version provides different drivers for some
 PATA (IDE) controllers. The names of some hard disk, CD-ROM, and
 tape devices may change.
 .
 It is now recommended to identify disk devices in configuration files
 by label or UUID (unique identifier) rather than by device name,
 which will work with both old and new kernel versions.
 .
 The system configuration can be updated automatically in most cases.
 Please choose whether you want this action to be performed.

Template: linux-base/disk-id-convert-plan
Type: boolean
Default: true
#flag:translate!:3,5,7
 These devices will be assigned UUIDs or labels:
 .
 ${relabel}
 .
 These configuration files will be updated:
 .
 ${files}
 .
 The device ids will be changed as follows:
 .
 ${id_map}

Template: linux-base/disk-id-convert-plan-no-relabel
Type: boolean
Default: true
#flag:translate!:3,5
 These configuration files will be updated:
 .
 ${files}
 .
 The device ids will be changed as follows:
 .
 ${id_map}

Template: linux-base/disk-id-manual
Type: error
#flag:translate!:3
 The following configuration files still use some device names that may
 change when using the new kernel:
 .
 ${unconverted}

Template: linux-base/disk-id-manual-boot-loader
Type: error
 The boot loader configuration for this system was not recognised. These
 settings in the configuration may need to be updated:
 .
  * The root device id passed as a kernel parameter;
  * The boot device id used to install and update the boot loader.
 .
 You should identify these devices by UUID or label. This is however
 not supported for the root device of MIPS systems.
Template: =ST-image-=V/postinst/depmod-error-initrd-=V
Type: boolean
Default: false
 The "depmod" command exited with the exit code ${exit_value}
 (${SIGNAL}${CORE}).
 .
 Since this image uses initrd, the ${modules_base}/=V/modules.dep file
 will not be deleted, even though it may be invalid.
 .
 You should abort the installation and fix the
 errors in depmod, or regenerate the initrd image with a known good
 modules.dep file. If you don't abort the installation, there is
 a danger that the system will fail to boot.

Template: shared/kernel-image/really-run-bootloader
Type: boolean
Default: true
 The default boot loader for this architecture is $loader, which is
 present.
 .
 However, there is no explicit request to run that boot loader in
 /etc/kernel-img.conf while GRUB seems to be installed with
 a postinst hook set.
 .
 It thus seems that this system is using GRUB as
 boot loader instead of $loader.
 .
 Please choose which should run: the default boot loader now, or the
 GRUB update later.

Template: =ST-image-=V/postinst/bootloader-test-error-=V
Type: error
 An error occurred while running the ${loader} boot loader in test mode.
 .
 A log is available in ${temp_file_name}. Please edit /etc/${loader}.conf
 manually and re-run ${loader} to fix that issue and keep this system
 bootable.

Template: =ST-image-=V/postinst/bootloader-error-=V
Type: error
 An error occurred while running the ${loader} boot loader.
 .
 A log is available in ${temp_file_name}. Please edit /etc/${loader}.conf
 manually and re-run ${loader} to fix that issue and keep this system
 bootable.

Template: =ST-image-=V/prerm/removing-running-kernel-=V
Type: boolean
Default: true
 This system is running a kernel version ${running} and attempting to remove
 the same version.
 .
 This can make the system unbootable as it will remove
 /boot/vmlinuz-${running} and all modules under the directory
 /lib/modules/${running}. This can only be fixed with a copy of the
 kernel image and the corresponding modules.
 .
 It is highly recommended to abort the kernel removal unless you are
 prepared to fix the system after removal.

Template: =ST-image-=V/prerm/would-invalidate-boot-loader-=V
Type: boolean
Default: true
#flag:comment:2
#Translators, DO NOT translate things like "=ST-image-=V"
 This system uses a valid /etc/${loader}.conf file that mentions
 ${kimage}-=V. Removing =ST-image-=V will invalidate
 that file.
 .
 You will need to edit /etc/${loader}.conf or re-target
 symbolic links mentioned there (typically, /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old)
 to not refer to ${kimage}-=V. Then, you will have to re-run ${loader}.
 .
 It is highly recommended to abort the kernel removal unless you are
 prepared to fix the system after removal.

Template: =ST-image-=V/postinst/missing-firmware-=V
Type: error
#flag:translate!:3
 This system is currently running Linux ${runningversion} and you are
 installing Linux ${version}. In the new version some of the drivers
 used on this system may require additional firmware files:
 .
 ${missing}
 .
 Most firmware files are not included in the system because
 no source code is available for them. You may need to reconfigure
 the package manager to include the non-free section of the package
 archive before you can install these firmware files.