Re: PATA transition

(Replying to the list only; please CC me on replies as I'm not subscribed)

On Thursday 18 March 2010, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> PATA drivers of either flavour are mostly selected on a per-architecture
> basis, and no change has been made to non-x86.  If people are willing to
> test on the non-x86 architectures then we may have a chance to change
> them over as well.

Does that mean that for other arches the kernel config remains unchanged,
or that they will get the new pata drivers, but without automatic
conversion support?

I don't think the first would be a very good idea as it means that we'll
still not be rid of the IDE drivers. It seems better to concentrate the
"pain" in one release than dragging it out.
As for not offering automated conversion support, IMO that's acceptable for
non-x86 arches[1]. But I think it would be good to display a huge warning.

As to testing. I have in the past tested the pata_cmd64x driver, and can
confirm that it works fine for my Ultra10.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] Although it could be painful for e.g. headless NAS systems.