Re: Custom Kernel Building in Debian

> here the pointer to the historic mail from linus, quite dated already
> http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/0587.html

Thanks.  I have read the e-mail.  I am not a C programmer, despite managing
to hack out a kernel patch for dasd_diag.c.  But I do know other programming
languages, and I am familiar with the concept of including a structure
declaration from a library, which is what these "headers" appear to be to me.
And I think that I understand, at least in principle, the problem that Linus
is trying to address in this e-mail.

It appears to me that Debian has long ago solved the problem that Linus is
trying to work around in this e-mail.  For example, on Debian Lenny,
/usr/include/asm is no longer a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/asm, or
to any other directory for that matter.  /usr/include/asm is a stand-alone
directory in its own right.  Linus' recommendation that kernel builders
put their source code elsewhere, in particular he recommended ~/src,
was a workaround for the "symlink problem", which no longer exists.  That's my
take on it.  Am I missing something here?