how to proceed with a driver problem

It appears that the ath5k wireless driver is crashing my system.  It
leaves almost no info in the logs when it does so (and thus has taken
several weeks to find).

Should I report that as a bug against the appropriate kernel image (the
standard Lenny amd64), or take it directly upstream?

Also, if anyone has any advice on how to proceed, even just how to get
more info about the failures, would be great.

The system is new hardware (2 CPU x 4 core each Xeon) running a fresh
install of Lenny.
Linux version 2.6.26-1-amd64 (Debian 2.6.26-13)
it does not (yet) have the latest security fixes.
I'm not actually using the wireless--it doesn't have the password for
the local network.  I may need the wireless later.

The system stayed up over a week with ath5k unloaded and blacklisted;
before it was crashing c. daily.  I just loaded the driver, and the
system crashed about 20 hours later.

I'd appreciate if you cc'd me on the response.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan