HP netbook ethernet problem.

Hi guys,

I'm not subscribed, so please CC.

I'm trying to use Debian on a brand new HP Mini 1030NR netbook.  The internal wired ethernet adaptor is supported by the Sky2 driver.  The problem that I have is that the device is rarely ever detected by the kernel, so no driver is, or can, be loaded to activate the device.

>From what I have seen on the Internet, others are seeing this too.  One person described it as a 50/50 problem, but I maybe see it detected only 1 in 50 boots.

I have tried 2.6.18 from the stable branch, 2.6.24-lpia from the Ubuntu netbrook remix, and most recently 2.6.26 from the testing branch.

The typical symptom is that lspci does not show the device in the results.

I have tried extra kernel command line parameters, and in combinations where appropriate:

pci=noacpi, pci=bios, pci=conf1, pci=conf2, pci=lastbus=254, pci=nopeer, pci=nommconf

None of those options helped.  There do not appear to be any useful options to configure in the Award BIOS on this machine.

Any other suggestions here?  Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

-S-