Re: Bits from the kernel team

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:39:22PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 04:50:22PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 17:22 +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> > Fedora 12, Ubuntu 9.10 and openSUSE 11.2 have this kernel version.

> I was hoping that various distributions could work together to
> have long time support for 1 kernel version that adds new hardware
> support.  Where that would be atleast some time after squeeze+1 is
> released.  Since the other distro's used a 2.6.31 kernel recently,
> and we seem to be going for 2.6.32(?), it seems unlikely that we
> can get all to work on 1 such kernel version.  But maybe we should
> look at what the "enterprise" versions will be using instead?

Fedora and Ubuntu both do 6-monthly releases, and are certainly not
supported for a "long time" by Debian standards.

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and RHEL 6 are both expected in the first half of 2010[1].
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS will be shipping 2.6.32, and my understanding (based on
discussions at LPC) is that RHEL 6 will as well; and 2.6.32 will have
extended upstream support, including support for new hardware.

So this look at the "enterprise" versions was already done, and is what
resulted in picking 2.6.32. :)

[1] http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Red-Hat-Summit-videos-presentations-and-outlook-for-RHEL6-743323.html