Re: Bits from the kernel team

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:56:05AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 09:24 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> > I guess oss4-dkms will be enough to take care of these users,
> > hopefully it will reach squeeze in time.

> Hopefully not.  OSS4 on Linux is part of the problem, not part of the
> solution.  Linux applications should not use /dev/dsp any more.  Those
> that do may be handled by some kind of bridge to ALSA, which was what

Something CUSE based, for example, or one of the existing LD_PRELOAD
hacks.  Replacing the OSS emulation with something that throws the data
back out to userspace would also work, I guess.

> this item refers to.  (The existing snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss don't
> seem to be good enough.)

Specifically since they are in kernel they don't (and can't really) play
at all with any userspace ALSA stuff such as DSP, PulseAudio or the
various network and wireless I/O drivers that are implemented in
userspace.  They also cause pain for the standard ALSA drivers since the
mismatch between the OSS and ALSA configuration APIs results in ALSA
drivers having to jump through hoops for the benefit of the OSS
emulation, and the OSS configuration model is just too limited to
express the control available on many modern systems.