Re: RFC: Bug handling policy

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 22:13 +0200, Andres Salomon wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:38:49 +0000
> Berni Elbourn <berni@elbournb.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> > > No.  Rebooting into an earlier kernel means that the user ends up
> > > with known security holes.  That should never be something that's
> > > encouraged.
[...]
> That's not what I'm saying.  If they want to revert, that's fine; so
> long as they understand the risks.  It should not be acceptable for
> *Debian* to say, "oh, just run the unsupported version for a few
> months". And the way that I read Ben's comment, it sounded like a bug
> should be less severe if users can be told to run an older
> (unsupported) version.  Ben, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was actually thinking of the fact that several different ABI versions
can coexist.  So in case you are running unstable and a new upstream
kernel version doesn't work for you, the previous version is still
available.  Usually such an upgrade would not involve major security
fixes since we try to backport them.

Still, you are right that over time the previous version would become
more vulnerable, so my point wasn't really valid.

                                                            - Robert Coveyou