Re: [stable] Adding bnx2x driver in 5.0.3

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 03:18:53PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > Hello dann,
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 4:04 PM, dann frazier<dannf@debian.org> wrote:
> >> The bnx2x driver was disabled in lenny due to its use of non-free
> >> firmware. I have put together a patch that would reenable this driver
> >> in lenny's 2.6.26 kernel, making use of the firmware split-out patch
> >> that has gone upstream in Linux 2.6.31-rc releases (and is currently
> >> in use in the linux-2.6 2.6.30 packages in sid).
> >
> > Really good news :-)
> >
> >> I'd like to see if we can enable the use of this driver in 5.0.3.
> >> As far as I can tell, the necessary steps would be:
> >>
> >>  - Update the kernel (obviously) - planned for a p-u upload this week
> >>  - Backport the necessary changes for firmware-nonfree from sid to add
> >>   the firmware-bnx2x package
>
> AFAICS both above are done?

yep.

> >>  - Update kernel-wedge/stable to include bnx2x if available (are there
> >>   space issues here?)
> >
> > The space usage is neglitable and I think it can be done with a very
> > small risk of regressions.
> >
> > Be sure to use the kernel-wedge of lenny for building it since we've
> > changed kernel-wedge a lot during the 2.6.30 migration and it is not
> > suitable for the lenny usage.
>
> What's the status here?

I can get this done tomorrow.

> >>  - Update d-i in 5.0.3 to incorporate this driver
> >
> > Yes, you got the picture right.
> >
> > I offer help if required.
>
> This can probably be done already when kernel-wedge is updated? Please
> don't delay when unnecessary, TIA.

Do we have an estimate for 5.0.3 yet? Reason I ask is that there is
typically always some kernel changes queued - security or
otherwise. I do understand wanting to have p-u in an always-releasable
state, but it can be a lot of throwaway work given that a security
update would force us to do a complete rebuild. If we have a target
date in mind I could work up a schedule (w/ buffer room) to make sure
that all the pieces are in place ahead of time.

Thanks Luk.

--
dann frazier