Re: initramfs-tools stable release 0.93.3

On 8/7/09, Seewer Philippe <philippe.seewer@bfh.ch> wrote:
> Scott James Remnant wrote:
> [snip]
>>> well afair the intel fast boot doesn't use initramfs in the fast path
>>> at all
>>>
>> Our fast boot does use an initramfs.
>
> This is a bit offtopic: Do you have any more info about intel fast boot?
> I use an intel atom board at home which supposedly has intel fast boot,
> but I haven't found any info on how to make use of that.
>
> Thanks,
> Philippe

Linux "fast boot" is purely a software feature.  The most significant
hardware feature is a BIOS which doesn't take too long before it loads
the kernel.

Possibly the marketing people have confused you with their use of the
word "supports".  The closest match to "supports intel fast boot"
would be "supported by Moblin".  Moblin is the optimized distribution
initially developed by Intel.  One of the optimizations was to limit
the supported hardware configurations.  Intel Atom boards were
obviously favoured ;-).  Cynicism aside, it's well worth a look.

Alan