Re: RL meeting

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 09:54:08AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> In the kernel BoF from DebConf, people generally agreed that it would
> be a good plan to organise a real-life meeting. I'm more than happy to
> spend Debian funds to make that happen, if needed.

> Where are people located, and what would be convenient time(s) and
> location(s) for travel?

What do people think of having this meeting co-located with the upcoming
Linux Plumbers Conference:  Sep 23-25, 2009 in Portland, OR?[1]  This would
bring the bonus of being able to talk with kernel upstreams, as well as with
kernel maintainers from other distributions.  In the context of the ongoing
discussions of release synchronizations, I think it could be particularly
useful to get some face time with kernel maintainers of other distros, in
order to find out what their plans are for kernels shipping in 2010 and
explore whether there are opportunities to coordinate.

(The Ubuntu kernel team will have a presence at Plumbers, of course, and I'd
be happy to make introductions and help get a dialog started on whether
there's an opportunity to sync up on kernel versions.)

There is a registration fee for the actual conference, and naturally this
doesn't include accomodations, so this is perhaps not the cheapest option
for a meeting - but perhaps the added benefits justify the expense, and
moreover make it likely that more people will be able to justify attending?

Anyway, booking flights will certainly be cheaper the sooner people are able
to commit, so I would suggest trying to reach a yes/no on this particular
idea in the next week or so.

Cheers,

[1] http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009