Re: Applying e1000e patch to the Debian 2.6.26 kernel

dann frazier wrote:
>>> 95b866d e1000e: Fix incorrect debug warning
>>> [...]
>>> a5136e2 e1000e: allow VLAN devices to use TSO and TCP CSUM offload
>>>
>>> I've put these individual changes in
>>> http://womble.decadent.org.uk/tmp/e1000e-patches/ so you don't need to
>>> use git to generate them.

Hi,

I started to try yesterday, and finished today, and I'm very surprised
here. I just used the package linux-source-2.6.26 from Lenny, unpacked
the resulting archive in /usr/src, did make-kpkg, dpkg -i of the
resulting image, mkinitrdfs, edited my grub menu.lst and rebooted. The I
was expecting my e1000e to not work at all. But it did work, without
applying any patch.

The issue here is NOT my laptop (in fact, I don't care my laptop, I run
the newest kernel 2.6.30 on it). I want to have the Debian kernel to
work on the core i7 boards of Supermicro, the X8STi-3F, that has 2
e1000e boards. Last time my employee Felix in Singapore tried the Debian
installer CD in our hardware supplier place in Singapore, it did NOT
recognize the network board.

So I'm wondering, did somebody applied some patches for e1000e between
the release of Lenny 5.01? Or maybe, the e1000e on the X8STi-3F is
different from the one of my Thinkpad t500? Is there even different
versions of the board at Intel?

I'd appreciate some pointers here. It's really so important for our
business to have this issue solved, and I guess that I'm not the only
one that desperately need to run the Debian Xen kernel with e1000e
(running custom made Xen kernels is not an option as we have too many
servers in production).

Thomas