Re: Fixes to Etch kernel for use in a Xen domain 0

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 20:32 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:22:19AM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the problem with Option 4?
> >
> > My two concerns with that are:
> >  * Dropping support for a package in a stable release (which we
> >    currently only do due to unforeseen circumstances) and
> >  * forcing users to upgrade to a new upstream version within a stable
> >    release.
>
> So nothing in addition to my concerns. So we are back at the decision
> between:
> - Full support, which currently noone wants to handle.
> - Support until we have something new, which breaks with some rules.
> - No support.
>
> I know its not really pretty, but for now its the best we can get IMHO.

I agree (FWIW, I'm only a bit player round here...)

As much as I'd like to help with offering full support I think
realistically I'm not going to have that much time to give to it, at
least not with any guarantee.

I'm not sure that requiring users to upgrade to a new upstream version
within a stable release is all that heinous _iff_ it is well documented
in the original release notes as Bastian suggests. Assuming the andahalf
thing continues with Lenny (why wouldn't it?) it seems like a perfect
vehicle for something like that.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

It's hard to keep your shirt on when you're getting something off your chest.