Re: Kernel package irregularities

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 22:16 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 06:59:03PM +0100, Jurij Smakov wrote:
>
> > I've noticed a couple of discrepancies in the debian/control file of
> > linux-2.6 package, and I can't really tell whether those are bugs or
> > not:
>
> > 2. There is linux-modules-2.6.26-1-xen-686 package. All other
> > linux-module packages are virtual (corresponding linux-image packages
> > provide them). It might be that this is the package containing the
> > modules for domU, but in that case package description needs to be
> > corrected.
>
> I believe these modules are for dom0 rather than for domU, with the intent
> that the associated image package (if it were actually fully functional) be
> shareable for both dom0 and domU?
>
> But then, in that case I would expect the image package to also include
> various non-hardware-related modules that are useful in a domU context.
> <shrug>

The other way round I think. For the xen flavour linux-modules is for
use in the domU (so they can be loaded within the guest) while
linux-image contains only the kernel so that it can be installed in
domain 0 and you can point your xm config at it. Or you can install both
in the domU and use pygrub.

The -xen flavour is somewhat deprecated now that -686-bigmem supports
Xen guest operation anyway, I'd be happy with making them virtual and
depending on the -686-bigmem packages, but not for Lenny now...

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

When you're not looking at it, this fortune is written in FORTRAN.