Re: Selection of kernel for Lenny (was: 2.6.25-2 testing sync)

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:15:14 +0200
maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 10:09:43PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
[...]
> > I'm having serious trouble parsing what you're trying to say here.
> > Could you rephrase?
>
> you never checked the rh kernel. they do a *lot* of backporting and
> have a big team working on that. so you'll notice that none of those
> patches landed in ours. so your argument sounds nice, but doesn't
> help in practise.
>
> .26 got a *lot* upstream attention and solves a number of .25
> regressions. it is wanted for read-only bind mounts, kernel debugger,
> kvm + xen + wireless improvements, allmost net namespaces and uvc cam
> support.

Not to mention OLPC support; it would be *really* nice to be able to
use d-i to install Debian onto an XO.  Of course, other things
(grub-under-OFW or just plain OFW support, jffs2 formatting support,
etc) would need to be in place as well for it to work.  I haven't kept
up on the status of those things, but I know that people have been
working on them.