Selection of kernel for Lenny (was: 2.6.25-2 testing sync)

(adding d-kernel and d-release)

On Monday 07 July 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
> >>
> >> Please wait few more days until we get it properly done on sid (d-i
> >> migrates to it).
> >
> > Why? We have never blocked migration of a new kernel when that wasn't
> > needed because of a D-I release. Uploading udebs and switching to a
> > kernel is not dependant on the migration. A new kernel can basically
> > migrate (from a D-I PoV) as soon as a release is out.
>
> Except that kernel team wants it to upload 2.6.26 to sid when it's
> released (probably this week)

OK, then _that_ should be discussed, not the migration to testing. The two
are completely separate issues.

In fact, having 2.6.25 in testing would possibly make it easier for the
kernel team to do a final (?) 2.6.25 upload with latest stable updates.

There are valid arguments to be found for staying with 2.6.25 a bit
longer, but "D-I has not yet converted to it" is NOT one of them.

A much more important argument is that .25 has seen and will almost
certainly continue to get a lot more stabilization effort upstream than
is "normal" for upstream kernel releases because long term releases for
at least two important other distros are based on it. I doubt .26 will
get the same upstream attention.
Given the lack of capacity in Debian to do any real stabilization (cherry
picking/backporting of fixes from later releases) ourselves, that could
IMO be an important consideration for staying with .25 for Lenny.

.26 also includes at least one change I know of that is somewhat risky:
PAT support for x86 (which could be disabled).

Se IMO we should take a real good look at .25 and .26 and check what's
new, what's important for Lenny and what's risky, and maybe check if some
things we do want could be backported.

Delaying the upload of .26 to unstable could give us time, as a
distribution, to stay up to date with .25, see how things are going
with .26 and make a more informed decision.

However, if the kernel team (together with maybe the release team) has
already decided on .26 for Lenny, then it would be better to get it into
unstable ASAP and for D-I to basically skip .25.

> and we have not yet got all architectures tested with 2.6.25 on d-i.

So what? That's largely our own damned fault...

Cheers,
FJP