Re: Selection of kernel for Lenny

On Monday 07 July 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
> .26 also includes at least one change I know of that is somewhat risky:
> PAT support for x86 (which could be disabled).

#d-uk just gave me this tidbit:
<...> am I missing something or will the move to .26, with libata binding
before most of the IDE stuff, cause a lot of pain unless the distro
manages the move from hd* to sd*?

Which is basically the "why don't we have persistent device naming" issue
(on which I won't comment).

There's two things to say about this (assuming status quo otherwise):
- this will probably reduce the pain on reboots for new installations
  as module loading order should become more predictable between different
  boots
- this may increase the pain for people upgrading from Etch to Lenny,
  or not, or ...

Other related issue/question.

Early in lenny, when libata first stuck up its head, we made some effort
to disable drivers or remove duplicate PCI IDs so that existing users
using the "old" IDE drivers would not suddenly be confronted with a
hda->sda switch.

I have not really followed Debian kernels regarding this, but currently I
think we basically just have both IDE and ATA drivers enabled. Correct?

Are any of those early "avoid duplicate PCI ID" patches still active?

Do we have any idea yet how this is going to be handled/documented for
upgrades?