Re: xen status update

Hi Maks,

I've just got back from a brief spell away without email/net, I'll take
a look at the below properly once I get back on top of things.

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 11:07 +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> hello ian,
>
> the fixup for the xenctrl patches was trivial so just commited it.

Thanks.

> what i was wondering is which important patches we miss out of
> linux-next or out of rebased linux-2.6-fedora-pvops?

There's a (quite longscary) queue of patches which add 64bit domU in
the tip tree[0]. I worry a bit that they touch a fair bit of generic
code which might make it impractical to backport into the main non-Xen
packages but they could be dropped into the -xen flavours. In any case I
don't think they've quite settled down yet (I don't believe it is in
-next yet for example). I'd prefer to take those ones to the
fedora-pvops tree if possible.

> could you take a look at #488284

Will do.

> also according to http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
> Queued for 2.6.27:
>     * Save/restore/migration

> what's there name and that be probably the less hanging fruit?

Those changesets can be found in the x86/xen branch of the tip tree[1]
and look a lot more tractable than the 64 bit stuff. They seem to be
mostly self contained in the Xen code.

Cheers
Ian.
[0] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/x86/linux-2.6-x86.git;a=shortlog;h=x86/xen-64bit
[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/x86/linux-2.6-x86.git;a=shortlog;h=x86/xen
--
Ian Campbell

The state of some commercial Un*x is more unsecure than any Linux box
without a root password...
		-- Bernd Eckenfels