Re: CONFIG_SONYPI_COMPAT

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 06:52:19PM +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Ben E. Hard wrote:
>
> > can you enable  the CONFIG_SONYPI_COMPAT Option in the default debian kernel?
> > At least my Sony Vaio PCG-R600HFPD still needs that compatibility mode in
> > connection with KDE to work correctly. I build my own kernel with that option
> > and now it works.
>
> please define "work correctly"

To make the story short, sony-laptop will replace sonypi and all the
(not so) active development is being done solely on sony-laptop.
Thus sony-laptop supports more models, the meye module also switched to
sony-laptop.

> what is missing currently?

sony-laptop uses sysfs while sonypi creates a char device. To make
old users of the char device still work there is this
CONFIG_SONYPI_COMPAT option that makes sony-laptop also create the char
dev and accept the ioctls that sonypi accepts.

Enabling CONFIG_SONYPI_COMPAT would make the dismissal of sonypi easier
and the transition smoother.
Last but not least, since sony-laptop is ACPI based, it is automatically
loaded in recent kernels where a SNY5001 or a SNY6001 device is found in
the DSDT, and it will grab the ioports that also sonypi uses thus
making the 2 not cohexist happily. If CONFIG_SONYPI_COMPAT is set the
user won't notice the difference.

cheers
--
mattia