Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 12:39:05AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Non-free material is being included in main for the benefit of *precisely zero*
> users.  There's no two ways about this: this is a Social Contract violation.

Kernel has 736[1] open bugs, including ones that corrupt data and
make other packages fail to build. All but one affect actual users.

Does the Social Contract really mandate that we should fix bugs
affecting 0 users before dealing with bugs that actually degrade
the user experience?

If our priority really is users, we should fix those 735 bugreports
first. And from the recent linux-2.6 uploads it seems that indeed
kernel team gives priority to users.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=linux-2.6