Re: custom configured kernel from package sources?

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 01:20:22PM +1200, Steve Wray wrote:
> Hi there,
> I've been trying to work out where, exactly, to post this question.
>
> I'm not on either list and since this is (hopefuly) a one-off I'm not going
> to subscribe at this time so please CC me in on-list replies.
>
> I want to build a kernel package for the Xen subarchitecture with NFS root
> enabled.
>
> I want to use the 2.6.18 kernel and I want to produce a package from the
> Debian sources.
>
> I've done an apt-get source linux-image-2.6.18-4-xen-686
> of course, this gets me a more generic kernel source than just the Xen one,
> but I wanted to be certain that I pulled in the exact Debian source package
> which was used to generate the running kernel.
>

> From what I've read, I need to run split-config, which I got from SVN (it
> doesn't seem to exist anywhere else, its not in the source package nor in
> any other package so far as I can tell).

You should be able to just use linux-tree-2.6.18. I haven't tested
these commands, but I think this is how it works:

$ tar xfj /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18.tar.bz2
$ /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.18/apply/debian -f xen 2.6.18-12etch2

You can run the debian script w/ --help to see the full list of
options.

--
dann frazier