custom configured kernel from package sources?

Hi there,
I've been trying to work out where, exactly, to post this question.

I'm not on either list and since this is (hopefuly) a one-off I'm not going to subscribe at this time so please CC me in on-list replies.

I want to build a kernel package for the Xen subarchitecture with NFS root enabled.

I want to use the 2.6.18 kernel and I want to produce a package from the Debian sources.

I've done an apt-get source linux-image-2.6.18-4-xen-686
of course, this gets me a more generic kernel source than just the Xen one, but I wanted to be certain that I pulled in the exact Debian source package which was used to generate the running kernel.

From what I've read, I need to run split-config, which I got from SVN (it doesn't seem to exist anywhere else, its not in the source package nor in any other package so far as I can tell).

I've fooled around with split-config to produce a config to my spec but this doesn't seem to actually work.

Usage: /tmp/split-config [options] <config dir> <flavour>
      -a, --arch <arch>        select architecture [i386]
      -s, --subarch <arch>     select sub-architecture []
      -c, --configtype <type>  select config type [menuconfig]
      -h, --help               display this help screen

I tried:

/tmp/split-config --arch i386 --subarch xen debian/arch/i386/xen

and it gave me the help output again. It seems to me that the arguments I gave it do indeed match what the 'help' output is asking for. Yes, I tried --arch 686 as well.

I've tried various permutations and combinations of architectures and subdirectories under debian/arch but to no avail. Everything I tried with split-config ended up giving me the 'help' output.

In the absence of anything else I've found online nor documentation for split-config, I'm turning to this mailing list.

Can someone please send some instructions on how to produce a kernel package for 2.6.18 in the Xen subarchitecture with a user-defined config?

I'm sure this is going to be useful to someone other than myself so documenting it, at the very least in the mailing list, would seem to be of great benefit for posterity :)

Thanks!