Re: /scripts/local: Waiting for root file system...

evading with "no time arg" is lame, it is more that
you had no good arg for the borked patch.

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 02:46:52PM +0400, Petr Kohts wrote:
> I was not quite clear when defined the udev fix as dirty.
>
> It's dirty not because it doubles the time to wait,
> but it's dirty because it doubles the waiting logic.

you want to wait:
a) if no root
b) earliest possible if rootdelay is passed on cmdline

so you could check in scripts/local that rootdelay was
passed and directly open an console. that would be "clean".
but i fail to see the interest of checking that cornercase
as if root is not there you are anyway in trouble and it
is worth to wait and to see if it is not a strange scsi
controller that takes loooooooooong.

btw rootdelay exists since long and is documented in
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt in any linux source.

haha, i know - guess who wrote it :)

> Last thing I'd like to ask you -- invent something
> which will work for the default installation,
> not forcing user to alter kernel parameters.

yup there is an upstream kernel effort it is named scsi_wait_scan.
the most important scsi drivers implement it and there
exists patches for pata and sata.

if you had read my latest post on initramfs-tools dev
i wouldn't have to repeat myself, but nowadays allmost
nobody has the politness to research on ml :)

best regards

--
maks