Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:42:56 +0300, Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> said:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 12:39:05AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>> Non-free material is being included in main for the benefit of
>> *precisely zero* users.  There's no two ways about this: this is a
>> Social Contract violation.

> Kernel has 736[1] open bugs, including ones that corrupt data and make
> other packages fail to build. All but one affect actual users.

> Does the Social Contract really mandate that we should fix bugs
> affecting 0 users before dealing with bugs that actually degrade the
> user experience?

        I think you are framing the question in a biased manner.  The
 inclusion of non-free software often does not directly impair
 operations or degrade utility for most users -- they often are not
 concerned about exercising the freedoms that are being curtailed. But
 we have common cause in promoting free software, we acknowledge that
 non-free software is harmful, and we relegate it to a a repository that
 is not part of Debian, but it exists for users who want the
 functionality and do not care about the freedom aspect.

        So, in my opinion, getting rid of the non-fee material, and
 actually conforming to our social contract is indeed worth more than
 fixing these other bugs -- how many of those are release critical, as
 this bob-free material issue is?

        There is also the factor of the social contract being our given
 word, and people trusting us -- if we can not be expected to even try
 to keep our word on the social contract, what _can_ we be trusted with?

> If our priority really is users, we should fix those 735 bugreports
> first. And from the recent linux-2.6 uploads it seems that indeed
> kernel team gives priority to users.

        Actually, given the premise that we are all for liberation of
 software, and that non-free software harms the users; putting users
 first means we get rid of things in Debian that are non free.

        manoj
 who should not be wasting time reading mailing list posts
--
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our
children's children, because I don't think children should be having