Re: Reducing number of i386 linux images

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 09:39:02AM -0400, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 09:18:44AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > I propose the following:
> > > - Rename 686-bigmem to 686-pae. pae is more than support for much
> > >   memory, it includes things like NX.

> > nack
> > as already told on private channel to many pentium m out there are
> > don't support pae

> OTOH, there's little reason to ship a 486 *and* a 686 kernel, probably
> easiest to just drop the 686 and rename 486 to generic or something.

Is that based on benchmarks, or on an assessment that non-PAE 686 machines
are uninteresting?  I would think that if the performance benefit of 686
over 486 is measurable at all, it's precisely the older systems that benefit
most from having a separate kernel flavor, in terms of the hardware
remaining useful.