Re: Reducing number of i386 linux images

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 09:18:44AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:

> > - Drop k7.
>
> ack
> 486 image is fine for those and the hardware is no longer
> so wide spread.

There are a whole lot of k7 boxes out there.

I would not like to use the 486 flavour on my K7-smp servers, but I can
run some benchmarks to verify performance penalities, if you point me to
one suited for the task.

I think if we are really going to drop k7, then we might tune some
settings in the 686 flavour to support both CPU worlds equally good
(or bad).

But I guess In the end, it's all about cache line alignment, and the 686
flavour will perform more or less good enough on k7, allowing us to drop
the other.

Best regards
Frederik Schüler

--