Re: Dropping sparc32 for Lenny (was: Scheduling linux-2.6 2.6.21-[23])

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 01:10:15PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > - sparc32 deprecation? No fix yet for the cmpxchg problem.

For now I only want to disable it.

> In that thread there was some opposition to the idea, but I've not seen
> anybody making the commitment to maintain sparc32, so dropping it for
> Lenny does seem logical.

I have to acknowledge the message from Dave[1]. Until there is a new
kernel upstream it may be possible to compile it but it is impossible to
fix real problems.

> However, I do not think this is a decision that should be made solely on
> the debian-kernel list. I also feel that the decision (when it has been
> made) should be announced to our users.

-kernel can produce facts. I have no problems building it, but someone
else needs to do the support.

Bastian

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.sparc/7531

--
Those who hate and fight must stop themselves -- otherwise it is not stopped.
		-- Spock, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown