Re: where do initramfs-tools come from?

hello,

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 01:32:53PM +0300, Gena Batsyan wrote:
> Hi!
> This email address is referenced as the Maintainer's address for
> mkinitramfs-tools package.
>
> I'm trying to find the origin of the initramfs package. Can't find any
> homepage.
>
> All initramfs as package google results seems to be related to debian in
> one way or another, so I decided to write to you.
>
> Is this a package developed by debian people?

it is a joint Debian/Ubuntu effort,
it is the Ubuntu default since Breezy and Debian default since Etch.
for some history of the dev look up that blog post
-> http://www.itp.tuwien.ac.at/~mattems/blog/2006/11/02#early_userspace

> I'd like to use it with openembedded now, so I was looking for the
> original version without
> any particular distro bias.
>
> Any kind of information is appreciated!

latest is available on git
git clone git://git.debian.org/git/kernel/initramfs-tools.git
-> http://git.debian.org/?p=kernel/initramfs-tools.git;a=summary

not yet released next version will have better MODULES=dep
with /sys. this will reduce the size of the initramfs in a significant
way. also you'd want to compile module-init-tools against klibc
+ BUSYBOX=n to have no glibc around in the initramfs.
currently MODULES=LIST should do.

if you have any patches on initramfs-tools i'd be happy to review/merge
them.

best regards

--
maks

ps man initramfs-tools might be helpful for a start.