where do initramfs-tools come from?

Hi!
This email address is referenced as the Maintainer's address for mkinitramfs-tools package.

I'm trying to find the origin of the initramfs package. Can't find any homepage.

All initramfs as package google results seems to be related to debian in one way or another, so I decided to write to you.

Is this a package developed by debian people?

I'd like to use it with openembedded now, so I was looking for the original version without
any particular distro bias.

Any kind of information is appreciated!

Kind regards!