[sparc] Automatic sbus module loading (was: Adding Emanuele Rocca to the team)

On Sunday 15 April 2007 22:23, maximilian attems wrote:
> i'd like to have sbus udev module loading solved :)

Here are the important bits from a discussion on that subject from
#debian-boot earlier today.

<fjp> trave11er: We also need to investigate why kernel/udev don't load
sbus modules yet.
<fjp> I suspect it may just be a missing udev rule.
<fjp> After all, sysfs support is supposed to be implemented.
<fjp> Though I'm not quite sure what's responsible for actually loading a
module: the kernel itself or udev or something else.
<trave11er> the way i remember it: there is modules.alias file, which
contains things like alias pci:v0000100Bd00000500sv*sd*bc*sc*i* scx200
<trave11er> udev gets this modalias from every device it detects, and then
modprobe it
<trave11er> so, the possibilities are a) udev is not getting the correct
modalias for sbus devices; b) there is no correct entry in modules.alias
for them
<trave11er> first should be possible to check with udevinfo or something
<fjp> with access to an sbus system...
<trave11er> hm
<waldi> hmm, does sbus support modalias?
<trave11er> waldi: supposedly, davem recently hacked in the support for it
<trave11er> well, for sysfs at least
<waldi> no sign in HEAD at least
<trave11er> waldi: the sbus devices do show up in sysfs
<trave11er> don't know whether this implies that udev should be able to
handle them
<waldi> modpost is not able to extract sbus infos
<waldi> which are needed to use modalias
<trave11er> aha

I suppose that modpost is scripts/mod/modpost.c in the kernel source tree.

Possibly additional changes will be needed to actually use sbus mappings
in /lib/modules/<kernel version>/modules.alias. I also wonder if anything
extra is needed to also generate a "modules.sbusmap" file.