Re: Towards consensus of our usage of the Uploaders field

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 03:23:39PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
>
> > On Thursday 15 March 2007 21:32, dann frazier wrote:
> >> Given this, I believe anyone on the kernel team should be permitted an
> >> entry in the Uploaders field. I also do not believe that the presence
> >> of a maintainer's name in the Uploaders field grants them any
> >> additional privileges. Uploads still need to be coordinated on the
> >> mailing list, etc.
> >
> > In the D-I team we treat the Uploaders field differently. Uploaders are
> > people who actually coordinate the package or do frequent uploads because
> > of their role in the project (e.g. the release manager).
>
> I personally like the way the uploaders field has been use on d-i and
> think it would fulfill nicely the kernel team way of doing things.

Notice that Frans decided on this way of using the uploader field, and used it
as weapon against me in his war against me. I remember perfectly the older
days of the d-i team, where you could add yourself as uploader, when you where
actually working on a d-i package. But as d-i moved away from the do-ocracy
that many believe is what debian should be, into a strong tyrany of a few,
things changed, and most of those changes where in reaction to needs in their
fight against me.

I am not entirely sure that this is what is most wanted here, this is
defitively not how the kernel team used to work, when it was most succesfull,
where those actually doing the work could add themselves to the Uploader
field, and actually do the upload. Sure, this worked in a coordinated way, but
as we where a friendly group, and worked together, and there wass no real need
of hierarchies and strong order of control, this worked out well enough.

But it is sure, that in the recent days, i see mostly Bastian doing uploads,
and only a few active people, so things have changed indeed, and not for the
best.