Re: [Pkg-cryptsetup-devel] loadkeys in early userspace (using initramfs-tools)

heya David,

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 04:30:45PM +0100, David Härdeman wrote:
> On Tue, January 9, 2007 15:20, Tim Dijkstra said:
<snipp>

> I discussed adding loadkeys to initramfs-tools earlier and the
> initramfs-tools maintainer disagreed (which is why I implemented it
> directly in cryptsetup).
>
> I'm not opposed to a shared solution at all, but I suggest you check with
> the initramfs-tools maintainer (see bugs 337663 and 376393 for reference).
> Perhaps he is of another opinion now that at least two different initramfs
> users need the keymap.

yup.

> One solution would be to change initramfs-tools to allow other
> initramfs-using packages to specify that they need a localized keymap so
> that it can be conditionally included in the initramfs image.
>
> This could be done e.g. by including a per-package file such as
> /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/{cryptsetup,uswsusp} which contains the
> line KEYMAP=y (this would also be flexible enough to allow other
> customizations in the future).

agreed, the default beeing KEYMAP=n.

> This would also allow users to specify that they want the keymap to be
> included even if there is no package which needs it (by creating such a
> file themselves).

or just setting it in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/keymap or in
/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf.

this code is good tested by uswsusp, but it's a feature enhancement.
i'll queue it up for the post-etch queue.

best regards

--
maks